United Way Has Enjoyed The Support of Central Ohio For Many Years. A Proud Tradition of Advancing the Common Good.
IN 1887, church leaders in Denver recognized the need for a combined effort to solve the city's social wefare problems and organized to raise funds to support 22 health and welfare groups.
In Columbus, the first steps were taken toward creating a more unified system of charities called “The Society of Organized Charities” and was designed to prevent overlapping and duplication. It became the city’s first united community planning group and information agency The Society operated until 1899 when it was reorganized into the Associated Charities of Columbus
In 1913, the first Community Chest was formed in Cleveland and was modeled after the Jewish Federation. Between 1919 and 1929 the number of community chests grew from 39 to 353 and by 1948 there were 1,000.
America’s entry into WWII changed everything. Columbus became the second city in the nation to organize a War Chest and included the coordination of various charity drives.
In 1943, Organized Labor supported the idea of workplace giving through payroll deduction. Members of AFL-CIOs were elected to boards and now national labor organizations encouraged workplace giving.
By 1948, more than 1,000 communities had established United Way organizations.
In Ohio, United Appeals of Franklin County in 1951 became United Appeal and in 1972 to conform to the national trend, we became United Way of Franklin County.
Finally, in 2000, we adopted United Way of Central Ohio to locally reflect the communities we serve.